Jorja Waybrant, Assistant Director of Advising
Coordinator of Disability Services
Education: Jorja Waybrant has an undergraduate degree in
History and M.Ed. in Special Education
from Shippensburg University.
Jorja has a diverse background in working with students with disabilities.
She served fifteen years with the Lincoln Intermediate Unit No. 12 Migrant
Education Program. LIU is a three-tiered educational system developed in Pennsylvania to serve students with disabilities and other special needs. She has also worked in various
inclusive and isolated classrooms to provide
instruction and support to students with learning disabilities,
AD/HD, emotional disorders, mental retardation, multiple disabilities,
Autism, Aspergers, Tourette Syndrome, etc. She served as a learning specialist through Shippensburg University Learning Center
providing academic support to students on academic probation and students with learning
disabilities along with serving
as a peer tutor for undergraduate, graduate, and English as a Second
Language (ESL) students.
In a collarboarative effort to provide information on and off-campus with regard to issues of student veterans with disabilities, Jorja serves as an Educational Subcommittee member under PA CARES - a voluntary advisory and action task force created to assist veterans with a successful reintegration back to their families and communities.
- faculty orientations on students with disabilities
- time management and organizational skills
- content-based learning strategies for academic success
- training for peer tutor and peer academic advisors
- academic support for students with disabilities
- issues of transition from high school to college
- issues of compliance relating to the Americans with Disability
- support for student veterans with disabilities in postsecondary education
- social justice issues for women, minorities, and other diverse
and other professional activities:
- Presented at the AHEAD Annual Conference (2009)
- Served as an external reviewer for Washington College (2009)
- Published in Thompson's ADA Compliance Guide (2008)
- Published in Section 504 Compliance Handbook (2008)
- Served on Content Review Panel for NACADA monograph Advising Students with