The Health Center is
staffed by nurse practitioners, part time physicians and staff
associates' support. Students are evaluated and treated for
illnesses and injuries by nurse practitioners with physician consultation
and referral as necessary. Nurse pracitioners are registered nurses
who have completed additional extensive medical education and are certified
and licensed to diagnose and treat medical conditions just as a family
doctor does. If a medical condition falls outside the nurse practitioners'
scope of practice, the patient is referred to the consulting physician
or specialist in the community. Nurse practitioners order and perform
lab tests and x-rays, may perform certain procedures and write for prescription
Students are seen on an appointment basis similar to
any medical office. Urgent illness or injury cases are seen
immediately or referred to the Carlisle Regional Medical Center if they
cannot be handled at the Health Center. Transportation is provided by
a transport service during the hours the Health Center is open at no additional
cost to the student or ambulance if appropriate. During the hours the
Health Center is closed, transportation will be provided by calling the
Department of Public Safety at extension 1349 or 1111.
* Evaluation and treatment of illness and injuries
* Full-time nurse and nurse practitioner staff
* Part-time physician coverage on campus, full-time
physician coverage by phone
* Referrals to outside agencies when appropriate
* Gynecologic Services & other sexual heatlh services. (birth control pills a low cost and free condoms).
* Free confidential HIV & STD testing for men and women
* Certified Medical Laboratory
* Prescription medications available (limited)
* Administration of allergy injections
* Health counseling and information center
* Self Care Center for colds
* Equipment lending (crutches, heating pads)
* Blood pressure screening
* Health Education materials (videos, pamphlets)
* Physical exams
Sexual health for women and men
The nurse practitioners in the Health Center diagnose and
treat most gynecological problems, and sexual health concerns including
STD testing for men and women. Tests performed in the Health Center include
chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV tests, pap smears, and pregnancy tests.
Individual consultation, health education and prescription of birth control
methods are also available. Birth control pills are sold on-site at
a discounted rate. Please link here for the most frequently asked questions about birth contol pills. Emergency contraception (also know as ECP's or
the morning after pill) is available during the hours the Health Center
is open. It is important ECP's be taken within the first 72 hours,
and is most effective the sooner it is taken. ECPs are now avaialable without a prescrption at local pharmacies. Please link on 'sexual resources' below, for locations and prices. Free condoms are available accompanied by educational material about HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. The HPV vaccine is also now available.
Men may be screened for sexually transmitted diseases, have an exam, or
just pick up condoms and information regarding STD's and sexual health
issues. Chalmydia testing for men now just requires a urine sample.
For more information about these services, and ECP prices at local pharmacies, please link to: Sexuality Resources.
Services not covered by Student Fees
* Emergency Department visits.
* Appointments with local physicians, dentists, consultants, or specialists.
* Prescription medications.
* Laboratory tests.
* X-rays, diagnostic procedures and medical and surgical supplies.