Dickinson College Home Page
Department of Public Safety
Emergency Preparedness | Harassing Phone Calls | Spills
Weather Emergencies | Fire Safety | Personal Safety
Emergency Phones | General Safety
Department of Public Safety
Department of Public Safety


Chemical Spills

You should only clean up minor spills of chemicals if you are trained and familiar with the procedures to do so.

Employees and Lab workers are qualified to clean-up spills that are "incidental." OSHA defines an incidental spill as a spill that does not pose a significant safety or health hazard to employees in the immediate vicinity nor does it have the potential to become an emergency within a short time frame.

If the spill is too large, highly toxic or a reactive chemical, call Public Safety (1111) for assistance immediately. If there is the slightest doubt regarding how to proceed, call Public Safety for assistance. In the case of highly toxic spills, evacuate the room, and do not allow anyone to enter until assistance arrives.

Those spills that are more severe in nature are considered (MAJOR). Major spills dictate the need for outside assistance. Call Public Safety (1111).

Reporting Hazardous Chemical Spill/Exposure - In the event a hazardous chemical spill or exposure occurs the following should take place:

  • Leave the area immediately;
  • Alert others of potential hazard;
  • Call Public Safety at 1111 to respond and provide:
    1. location of building, room, landmark
    2. description of chemical, if known
    3. number of persons exposed to a hazardous chemical and potential first aid needed
    4. your name and phone number for call back
  • Secure the area by preventing persons from entering until Public Safety arrives
  • Public Safety Response to Chemical Spill or Exposure - When Public Safety responds, the following will occur:

  • Analysis - Public Safety officers will, as a first responder, analyze the chemical spill.
  • Evacuate - Public Safety officers will evacuate all persons to a safe area.
  • Additonal Resources - Public Safety officers will determine what resources are required, including medical assistance, fire department, hazardous response team, etc.
  • Secure Scene - The exposure area will be secured to prevent unauthorized entry.
  • Provide First Aid - First aid will be provided to victims to reduce exposure, which may include water dilution, ventilation, etc.
  • Procedure for Handling Blood or Body Fluid Spills

    If any member of the college community is present during a situation where there is a blood or bodily fluid spill they are to follow the procedure outlined as follows.

  • Do not touch the material
    You may cover it with a paper towel or whatever disposable material is available. Stay by the material so no one accidentally comes in contact with it while awaiting “the response team.”.
  • Call Public Safety at ext. 1349 or ext. 1111
    Explain to the officer that there has been a hazardous bodily fluid spill. An officer will respond and evaluate the situation. The Public Safety Officer may take care of the situation, or the “response team” may be called. All Public Safety Officers and a select group of Facilities personnel who have been identified as the “response team” are specially trained to handle such situations in accordance with OSHA guidelines.
  • An injured party should administer self-care prior to the arrival of the response team
    If the blood or body fluid is from an injury, the injured party should be offered material to hold pressure over the wound, if such material is available, but no other employee should offer to assist. Common sense dictates that if the injured person were unconscious and unable to hold pressure to a wound, assistance would be appropriate. Employees, not on the response team, who choose to assist, do so at their own risk. If an employee does come in contact with any substance accidentally during working hours, the employee should receive a Hepatitis B vaccine within 24 hours of the exposure. The cost will be borne by the College. Call the Health Center at x. 1835 for more information or go directly to the Carlisle Hospital Emergency Department, located on parker Street.

  • 400 W. North St. - Rear | Carlisle, PA 17013
    Telephone Ext.: 1349 | Off Campus: (717) 245-1349