Registrar's Office



(back to top of page)

Can I use two 1/2 course credits to fulfill a distribution requirement?
No. Distribution requirements must be fulfilled using a full course credit taken during one semester.

(back to top of page)

Can one course double-count for two requirements?
The majority of courses may double-count for more than one requirement, including distribution and major/minor requirements. However, there are two exceptions: 1) A Quantitative Reasoning course may NOT double-count as a lab science course. 2) One course may NOT double-count for more than one Division requirement.

Even though a single course can fulfill more than one requirement, it counts as only one of the 32 required for graduation.

(back to top of page)

How many language courses are required for graduation from Dickinson?
All students are required to demonstrate that they have completed work in a foreign language through the intermediate level. This can include as many as 3 or 4 courses, depending on the language selected.

(back to top of page)

Why aren't some of the courses for my major listed in the appropriate place on my degree audit?
Because students can fulfill the requirements for certain majors uniquely, we cannot pre-program the computer to identify all of the possible course combinations. These majors should be identified by a message at the top of your degree audit. To be sure you are on track with completing the requirements for your major, confirm your progress with your major advisor.

(back to top of page)


  • Major GPA
  • Grades Posted online
  • Roll Call

    (back to top of page)

    How do I calculate the grade point average (GPA) of the courses in my major?
    While your cumulative grade point average (GPA) can be found on your transcript and at, if you want to know the grade point average in your major, you will have to calculate it. Here's how:

    1. List each course required for your major along with its corresponding number of credits.
    2. Multiply the number of credits by the numeric grade value (see list below) that you received for the course. This will give you the quality points earned for that course.
    3. Add the quality points for all of your major courses.
    4. Divide the total quality points by the total number of credits to get your major GPA.


    HIST 106...1 credit...B+... 1 x 3.33 = 3.33
    HIST 204...1 credit...A... 1 x 4.00 = 4.00
    HIST 211...1 credit...B-... 1 x 2.67 = 2.67
    HIST 304...1/2 credit...B... 0.5 x 3.00 = 1.50

    Total quality points = 11.5
    Total # of credits 3.5
    Major GPA = 11.5/3.5 = 3.285714... more specifically 3.29

    A = 4.00
    A- = 3.67
    B+ = 3.33
    B = 3.00
    B- = 2.67
    C+ = 2.33
    C = 2.00
    C- = 1.67
    D+ = 1.33
    D = 1.00
    D- = 0.67
    F = 0.00

    (back to top of page)

    When will my grades for the current semester be posted on Banner Self-Service?
    The Registrar's Office runs a process that posts grades to students' transcripts. This is done for the first time around noon on the grades due date (Note:  There may be subsequent posting for any late grades). Until the first posting, no grades for that semester can be seen on your transcript on Banner. Because we are unable to print transcripts once we begin posting grades, we delay this first posting as late as possible to accommodate student transcript requests.

(back to top of page)

What are Roll Call grades?
At mid-semester (Roll Call), the following grades are reported by faculty for all students: S - Satisfactory achievement (work of "C" quality or above) U - Unsatisfactory achievement (work of "C-" or below) I - Incomplete work outstanding NE - No Evaluation made by faculty member 

These Roll Call grades are available to students via   Once you have logged in, from the Student & Financial Aid menu select Student Records, then Roll Call Grades.  Choose the term for which you'd like to see your Roll Call grades and click Submit. 

(back to top of page)



(back to top of page)

How many courses can I take each semester? How many courses is considered full time?
The normal course load for a full time student at Dickinson is four (4) course credits. A minimum of three (3) course credits must be taken by full time students. In Spring 2002, the faculty approved a resolution to allow students to request five (5) course credits for a maximum of two (2) semesters while attending Dickinson. Interested students will need to complete the appropriate form, available in Biddle House, First Floor or online (, at the Forms link). This fifth course cannot be added until the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester. And most importantly, once this form is submitted to our office, it is officially on your record as one of the two semesters permitted and cannot be revoked.

(back to top of page)

What is my status at the College?
When is my status determined?

Your status at the College is determined by the number of attempted credits. Full-time students must attempt a minimum of 3 course credits. Your status is determined at the official reporting date for the semester, which is at the end of the add/drop period.

(back to top of page)

How do I withdraw from a course?
If it is past the add/drop period and you wish to remove a course from your schedule, you must complete the Course Withdrawal Form - available in Biddle House, First Floor and on the Registrar's web page by clicking on the Forms link. This form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office no later than the deadline listed in the Academic Calendar for that semester.

Things to keep in mind when considering withdrawing from a course:
- Withdrawal is not an option for physical education classes.
- The option to withdraw from a course is limited to two (2) courses during a student's Dickinson career.
- When a student withdraws from a course, it will be indicated on the student's record with a grade of "W".

For more details on course withdrawals, see the College Bulletin web page. From the Academic Policies and Procedures link, look for Late Changes in Course Schedule.

(back to top of page)

How do I request to take a course pass/fail?
How many courses can I take pass/fail?
Which courses can I take pass/fail?

Students may NOT register to take a course pass/fail on line. In order to be officially registered for a course on a pass/fail basis, the student must submit a completed Pass/Fail Permission Form no later than the end of the Add/Drop period. This form is available in the Registrar's Office or on the Registrar's web page, click at the Forms link.

Students may take no more than one course on a pass/fail basis each semester and no more than a total of four pass/fail courses among the 32 required for graduation.

There are certain courses which may not e taken on a Pass/Fail basis. These courses are coded with the "Can't be taken pass/fail" attribute and can be found by using the Class Schedule Search feature on the Registrar's web page.

For more details about Pass/Fail courses, see the Academic Policies and Procedures section of the College Bulletin web page at: Look for the paragraph marked "Pass/Fail Grading."

(back to top of page)


(back to top of page)

Is there a fee for transcripts?
- Transcripts and first-class postage are provided free of charge as a service to our students and alumni/ae.
- Exceptions:

     1) Those who participated in the Sound of America program only, please enclose a check for $2.00 for each transcript you request.
     2) Other delivery methods (e.g. overnight, etc.) are available on request for a special charge.
     3) Fax transcripts are unofficial

(back to top of page)

What is the difference between an official transcript and an unofficial transcript?
An official transcript is placed in a sealed envelope with the Registrar's signature and school seal across the flap. The final recipient of an official transcript is printed on the transcript. Official copies of a transcript are not issued directly to students or alumni. Typically, official transcripts are required for graduate school, law school, etc.

Unofficial transcripts are typically kept for personal use and can be issued to students and alumni.

(back to top of page)

How do I request a copy of my transcript?
Who can request a copy of my transcript?

Click here for complete details on how to request a copy of your transcript.

A transcript can be released only with the student/alum's signature. For details about the privacy of a student's record, please click here. If you would like to authorize your parent/guardian to be able to request a transcript, you can either:
1. Sign the consent form - click here for a printable copy.
2. Have their parent(s) provide a copy of one parent's federal income tax return for the current tax year showing the student as a dependent.

(back to top of page)


(back to top of page)

What credit can I receive for Advanced Placement tests?
How do I go about receiving credit for my Advanced Placement scores?

Click here for a listing of Advanced Placement scores and the credit and/or placement received for each.

To receive credit/placement at Dickinson for your Advanced Placement scores, you will need to have an official copy of your scores sent to the Registrar's Office. To request that your official scores be sent contact the College Board at
1-888-CALL-4-AP (1-888-225-5427).

(back to top of page)

What is the credit hour equivalency for a Dickinson course?
Each Dickinson course is equivalent to four credit (or semester) hours, unless otherwise noted in the course description. This is based on the assumption that at least three hours of study accompany each class period (excluding labs). Half courses meet either for only half the semester or on a half-time basis for the full semester. Physical education and some military science courses carry no academic course credit.

(back to top of page)

Can I take summer or January-Term courses at another institution?
You may attend summer school or a January term at another institution in the United States or abroad, provided that:
- you are in good academic standing, i.e. you have a 2.00 grade point average or better
- the other institution is accredited and has been approved by Dickinson College

In order to assure credit transfer you must secure prior approval of course(s).
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not complete the approval process before you leave campus to attend the other school, you run the risk of not receiving approval for your course(s).

To secure approval, complete the Enrollment in Another institution form (available at the Forms link of the Registrar's web page). Be sure to:
- List all courses to be taken (indicate any alternate choices).
- Attach a photocopy of the official course descriptions.
- Sign and date the enrollment form.
- Secure your academic advisor's signature.
- Obtain the signature of the appropriate Dickinson department chairperson, only if a course is to count towards a major, a minor or a Distribution Requirement. (General College/Elective Credit is approved by the Registrar.)
- Submit the form to the Registrar's Office.

You will be notified regarding final approval or denial within 10 days of receipt of the completed form in the Registrar's Office.

As soon as the summer session or January term is over, it is your responsibility to see that the institution you attended sends an official transcript of your academic work to:
Dickinson College
Registrar's Office
P.O. Box 1773
Carlisle, PA 17013

You will receive only transfer credit for approved courses in which a grade of "C" (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) or better is earned, i.e. grades earned at another institution will appear on your Dickinson transcript, but they will not count in your cumulative grade point average. (Exception: courses taken at a Central Pennsylvania Consortium College during Fall or Spring semesters)

Courses may not be taken pass/fail unless it can be documented that pass is equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.

The maximum credit transferable for a short-term study abroad is one (1) Dickinson course, regardless of the credit hours assigned by the host institution or number of courses taken by the student.

You may receive up to a total of four (4) transfer credits for summer and/or January study at other approved institutions. (You may take courses during one or more summer and January sessions as long as the total number of transfer credits do not exceed four (4) courses.)

If you wish to receive more than four (4) transfer credits for summer and January study at other approved institutions, you must obtain prior approval from the college. Petitions and supporting documentation should be submitted to Associate Provost Brenda Bretz. Approval will be based on demonstrated relevance and coherence in your overall educational program.

The maximum number of courses that can be transferred to Dickinson College is sixteen (16). College regulations require a student to complete at least sixteen (16) courses on campus, including six (6) of the last eight (8), or the last four (4). In addition, you must complete at least twelve (12) courses on campus after declaring a major.

(back to top of page)

As an incoming student, can I transfer credits to Dickinson from another institution I attended?
Dickinson College allows incoming students to transfer credits from another institution, if they meet the following criteria:
- The institution is an accredited college-level institution.
- The academic work must be satisfactorily completed with a grade of C or better (2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale)
- The program of study reasonably parallels the curriculum of Dickinson College.

Final determination of credit and the satisfaction of requirements will be made by the Registrar. NOTE: Final determination of credit for language courses will not occur until language placement is determined via the on-line test or consultation with department once you have arrived on campus. Among the academic regulations applicable to all students and of particular note to transfer students is the graduation requirement that at least 16 courses be taken on campus, the last 12 of which must be taken while the student is matriculated with an approved major field of concentration.

For more information see the Transfer Admission Requirements section of the College Bulletin.

(back to top of page)

What credit can I receive for International baccalaureate exams?
Students who have taken International Baccalaureate courses will be granted general college credit for higher level IB exams in which they achieve grades of 5 or better. Placement and credit in the appropriate departments will be granted at the discretion of the departments.

(back to top of page)

Why doesn't my coursework taken at another institution appear on my Dickinson record?
There are two main reasons your transfer credit from another institution is not appearing on your Dickinson record:

- You have not submitted the completed Enrollment at Another Institution form to the Registrar's Office. This form contains the signatures necessary to approve the transfer of the course(s). You can obtain this form from Biddle House, First Floor or on the Registrar's web page (click here).

- Our office has not received an official copy of your transcript from the other institution. It is your responsibility to request that the other college/university send an official transcript to the Dickinson Registrar's Office.

Once all of the information received by our office, please allow some processing time. You will be notified by our office once the transfer credit has been posted to your record.

(back to top of page)

How do I submit a petition to the Subcommitee on Academic Standards?

Guidelines for petitioning may be found at the following link from the Advising web pages:

(back to top of page)

Can I order a new diploma with my new (eg. married) name?

Diplomas will be issued in student name at the time of graduation and will not be reissued to reflect a name change that occurs after graduation.

(back to top of page)

What is FERPA ?

The Familly Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law under which schools must generally afford certain rights to students who are 18 years or over, or attending a postsecondary institution, including:

  • access to their education records
  • an opportunity to seek to have the records amended
  • control over the disclosure of information from the records

(back to top of page)

How am I informed about my rights under FERPA?

Dickinson College notifies students of their FERPA rights in the annual publication of the policy in the Student Handbook.

(back to top of page)

Under what circumstances may Dickinson College disclose information from education records without my consent?

  • Dickinson College may disclose information to college officials who have been determined by the College to have a legitimate educational interest in the information;
  • The student is seeking or intending to enroll in another college;
  • The disclosure is to certain authorized State and Federal government authorities as set forth in the FERPA regulations;
  • The disclosure is in connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received;
  • The disclosure is to State and local officials or authorities to whom this information is specifically allowed to be reported or disclosed pursuant to State statutes;
  • The disclosure is to organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, educational agencies or institutions to develop, validate, or administer predictive tests, administer student aid programs, or improve instruction;
  • The disclosure is to accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions;
  • The disclosure is to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • Subject to additional FERPA requirements, the disclosure is to a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense;
  • Subject to additional FERPA requirements, the disclosure is in connection with a disciplinary proceeding
  • The information disclosed has been appropriately designated as directory information by the college;
  • Dickinson College may disclose education records to parents if the student is a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Code;
  • Dickinson College may disclose education records to parents if a health or safety emergency involves their son or daughter;
  • Dickinson College may inform parents if the student who is under age 21 has violated any law or its policy concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance;

(back to top of page)

Who are the college officials with legitimate educational interest to whom my records may be disclosed without my consent?

Records can only be disclosed to those persons employed by the college in administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff positions, members of the Board of Trustees, or persons employed by or under contract to the college to perform a special task, such as attorneys or auditors performing tasks that are specified in their position descriptions or by a contractual agreements. The legitimacy of the educational interest in the records to be disclosed is determined by the college, not the individual, and is generally determined based upon the person’s position description, the performance of tasks related to a student’s education, discipline, or providing a service or benefit relating to the college, the student or the student’s family, such as health care, counseling, job placement or financial aid.

(back to top of page)

What is "Directory Information"?

FERPA defines "directory information" as information contained in the education records of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Typically, "directory information" includes information such as name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and dates of attendance. A college may disclose "directory information" to third parties without consent if it has given public notice of the types of information which it has designated as "directory information," the student's right to restrict the disclosure of such information, and the period of time within which a student has to notify the college in writing that he or she does not want any or all of those types of information designated as "directory information." Dickinson College has designated the following information as directory information:

  • Full name
  • Home address and telephone number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Campus address, local address, e-mail address, and telephone number
  • Matriculated status (full-time, part-time, or non-matriculated) plus College major and class
  • Dates of college attendance
  • Most recent previous institution attended by student
  • Date of graduation
  • Degrees, honors and awards received
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Photograph or likeness

(back to top of page)

If I am a parent of a Dickinson College student, do I have the right to see my child's education records, especially if I pay the bill?

As noted above, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student once the student enters a postsecondary institution, regardless of the student’s age. Although the rights under FERPA have now transferred to the student, a school may disclose information from a student’s education records to the parents of the student, without the student's consent, if the student is a dependent for tax purposes. Neither the age of the student nor the parent's status as a custodial parent is relevant. If a student is claimed as a dependent by either parent for tax purposes, then either parent may have access under this provision. A copy of the tax return from the most recent year will be required for verification of dependent status.

While Dickinson reserves the right to rely on the provisions of FERPA that permit disclosure to parents without consent under these circumstances, it is not our custom to do so. Normally, Dickinson College works exclusively with the student without engaging the parents as part of our educational philosophy to encourage and empower students to accept responsibility and accountability for their actions and affairs. Nothing in FERPA prevents the student himself or herself from notifying his or her parents of any engagement with the College and seeking the advice, counsel and support of his or her parents as the student deems it appropriate. Deciding when and under what circumstances to include parents in decision-making is another educational opportunity for the student.

(back to top of page)

Can Dickinson College disclose financial records of an eligible student with the student's parents?

If the student is a dependent for income tax purposes, Dickinson College may disclose any education records, including financial records to a student's parents. If the student is not a dependent, then the student must generally provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents.

(back to top of page)

May Dickinson College disclose to a parent, without the student's consent, information regarding a student's violation of the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance?

Yes, if the student is under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure. Also, if the student is a "dependent student" as defined in FERPA, the institution may disclosure such information, regardless of the age of the student, subject to the institution’s philosophy on such disclosures set forth in the FAQ about "Directory Information" above.

(back to top of page)

Updated 7/14/09; D. Bolen