Dickinson Semester in Washignton
Operated in partnership with The Washington Center
for Internships and Academic Seminars
Jefferson Memorial
Independent Study: Questions and Answers

What is the TWC Independent Study?

The TWC Independent  Study project is a special, required component of the Dickinson Semester in Washington.  It consists of an independent study project, not unlike an independent study a student might do with the advice of a Dickinson faculty member while at the Carlisle Campus.  Students and their IS advisors work together to converge on a suitable project theme, work schedule, and final work product.  Students and faculty members interested in seeing some general guidelines are free to review (and adopt in part or in total) the general framework for IS projects posted at: http://www.dickinson.edu/departments/twc/ISguide.html

How do I arrange my Independent Study (IS) with a Dickinson faculty member?

You should contact a faculty member that is most closely aligned with the area in which you would like to do your independent study as soon as you begin thinking about doing the Washington Semester program. 
This faculty member should write one of your letters of recommendation, and should refer to the Independent Study project in this letter.  (If the faculty member you have contacted has questions about the program, you can refer them to this web site, and/or to Prof. Hoefler (extension 1311), in Political Science.)  Once the faculty member agrees to work with you, the two of you can collaborate on the details of the project.  The faculty member should be able to help advise you about which TWC internships and seminar classes would make most sense for you, as well.

How will my Dickinson faculty advisor and I stay in touch while I am in Washington?

You will stay in regular contact with your faculty advisor for the Independent Study by email, phone, and fax communications throughout your semester in Washington.  Your advisor will also pay you a visit at your internship site sometime during the semester at which time you can give him or her a site visit before or after meeting to discuss your progress on the IS project. 

Will I have access to a library while I am in Washington?

The Washington Center is currently developing a list of the major area libraries, their hours, and their policies regarding non-student use.  Once they have the list, they will target the best possibilities and see what they can do to get regular library access for you.  In the meantime, the Library of Congress (LOC) and the Arlington Public Library (Main Building) are the two best sources.  One of the first things you should do when you arrive in DC is sign up for “Readers Identification Card” at the Library of Congress.  It is free and it gives you access to the Reading Room and other privileges at the LOC.

How are grades submitted?

Faculty will submit grades on the TWC Independnet Study Grade Submission form posted at:


j.hoefler 12.12.04
Dickinson Semester in DC

The Washington Center (TWC)

Getting Started

Application Checklist (.pdf)

Credits and Grades

Major Credit form (.pdf)

Independent Study

Vital Statistics form (.pdf)

Student perspective

Dickinson College

Global Education

Dickinson Logo